SUGGESTION: bite reports

Questions/Suggestions/Comments

Moderators: minervasden, Ash, TamanduaGirl

Ana

SUGGESTION: bite reports

Postby Ana » Sun Mar 05, 2017 8:16 pm

I used to keep tarantulas, and was a member of a community where we would get together to share tips and tricks, very much like
this one! The one thing they had that I think we would benefit from is bite reports. This was a section where any person who received
a bite could come and write up an overview of the circumstances surrounding the experience, the pain, the treatment provided, the
recovery time, as well as answer questions from other keepers. Due to the reactive nature of our legal system, I'd suggest our bite
reports area include an option to anonymously report bites. This will ensure the safety of both the biter and the bitee from any legal
ramifications. icon-smile
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: SUGGESTION: bite reports

Postby Ash » Sun Mar 05, 2017 11:40 pm

Personally, I feel like this would be quite detrimental and I would be against it. Throughout the forum there are places where people mention off and on clues as to where they live, who they are, what they do, etc, and I feel it could be dangerous. While I don't really mind it for cold-blooded animals and birds to show people the risks of owning such animals, having a bite section for mammals is asking for trouble, in my opinion (rabies scare and legalities).

If someone wants to share their experience they are free to do so knowing the risks, but I wouldn't necessarily encourage those experiences to be shared.

That's my personal stand on it anyway. Would like to hear what others think.
Red fox (1.2)
Reptiles--many
1 amphibian
Ana

Postby Ana » Mon Mar 06, 2017 1:39 am

Yeah, there are definitely pitfalls once mammals get involved, but I'd sure love to have the information, if it could be shared anonymously.
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Mon Mar 06, 2017 3:11 am

If an incident were really old it might be okay to talk about since risks of infection would be over with but you wouldn't want to talk about anything fresh. I don't think there's a good way to do it anonymously as we'd have to get pm's or emails and put it up ourselves.

The other issue though it having a list of bite incidents could be a resource for those looking for info to help push bans. It's one thing for people to share something here or there but another to have a collection for easy intel gathering.

Return to “MESSAGE BOARD ISSUES”